Monday, January 30, 2012

Mochi Mania!

   I broke my promise about a "movie snacks" post, mostly because Lane and I ate everything before I photographed it, but I will deliver this week! Going to see the Serge Gainsbourg flick on Friday, and I will definitely need to be armed with superior alternatives to the candy counter. But until then...

 Mochi! Pronounced "mo-chee", this is something I've been eating every day for a week and I can't get enough. I'm not talking about those little flavored ice cream spheres you order at sushi restaurants, though those aren't bad, either. I'm referring to Brown Rice Mochi, a 1-inch thick "cake" made from cooked, pounded grains that you chop up and cook until puffy, gooey and crispy. How did I not know of this genius Japanese invention before now? It's so versatile! So quick to cook! Relatively cheap! My mind can't wrap itself around the culinary possibilities of this food, so this post will just have to contain five variations.

I have yet to bake or deep-fry mochi, my only method has been pan-frying with a little sesame or olive oil. It's very simple--just slide the sheet of mochi out of its package and slice it up however you like (although anything larger than a 3" square will be too soft-centered and will not give you the best gooey-to-crispy ratio). Pan-fry over medium heat with a little oil, about 3-4 minutes each side. I find covering the pan after flipping makes the mochi puff up a little more, which I like.

At this point, you can do whatever you want. I drizzled a mixture of tamari, Sriracha and dijon mustard on the mochi and and tossed it up with sesame seeds and green onions. Then I died. It was awesome.



Triple Sesame Mochi
(garlic-sesame flavored mochi cooked in sesame oil with sesame seeds)

I have plans to make Three Bean Chili and put garlicky mochi on top, sort of like croutons (hey, beans and rice! complete protein!) and I'll also add them to vegetable skewers...ahh, the possibilities. Grainaissance makes a whole line of flavored mochi that I've seen in several stores here in Eugene, so I'm assuming this is a widely available thing?

Mochi for breakfast, please.
Cinnamon-Raisin-Apple Mochi

Cinnamon-Raisin flavored mochi with stewed apples, raisins and barley malt syrup. Roastaroma tea!  So much more filling than I had anticipated.

And then I came across THIS at the market today:


WHAT.  Chocolate Brownie Mochi with WALNUTS.  Oh great, now I was totally forced against my will to think of a dessert.
I went ahead and pan-fried my 2"x1" rectangles of mochi in virgin coconut oil and decided I'd slice them open on one side and stuff them with cherry jam and almond butter.  But, as soon as I got out the almond butter, I started thinking about cashew cream, and then I started  to consider complementing the walnut flavor in the mochi, so I started thinking figs, but you can't have figs without balsamic vinegar, so I had to make a maple-balsamic reduction to drizzle on top...
in the end, I had three different desserts on one plate.  Poor me.

Mochi Brownies three ways
(Cherry Jam w/ Almond Butter;  Walnut-Fig w/ Maple-Balsamic Sauce; Vanilla Cashew Cream w/ Chocolate Chips)



These look really sweet and rich, but they're pretty balanced and almost mellow.  I dislike sweet-sweet stuff (most cake, cookies & candy) so these turned out perfect for me.  Although the brownie mochi contains cane juice, it's just enough to bring out the chocolate flavor and that's it--any additional sweetness came from my fillings, which were pretty simple:

Cherry-Almond: cherry 100% fruit spread, almond butter mixed with maple syrup, crushed almonds
Walnut-Fig: sliced dried black mission figs, chopped walnuts, balsamic vinegar mixed with maple syrup (reduced to a thick syrup over medium heat)
Cashew Chocolate Chip: cashews pureed with vanilla extract, maple syrup and water (into a smooth paste), crushed semi-sweet chocolate chips

There is no way I can pick a favorite, but I know I'll definitely be messing around with that Vanilla Cashew Cream in the future. Really crazy good. Lane was like, "What IS this?" It was practically frosting.

Oh mochi, I'm so glad we met.  Anyone else eat this stuff? How do you cook it? What do you like to add?  I'm so smitten!

2 comments:

  1. I never even heard of this! You just ruined my life, Cara. I must find it and eat it. Ronin is having a Samurai party... if there is any mochi left in the world by the time it comes around, perhaps I'll share with my friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alana, you will surely become obsessed. You'll get Ronin hooked while he's still young and vulnerable. I swear, whenever I'm hungry, I think, "Hmmm, which flavor mochi should I have?" It's like I'm a modern monk on the #7 Diet, for cryin' out loud. Brown rice all day, every day.

    ReplyDelete