Thursday, February 2, 2012

MO' BETTA MOVIE SNACKS

Love the movies, hate the snack options.
I adored candy, soda and concession stand nachos as a kid, but now that stuff gives me a queasy stomach, sugar headache and acid reflux before the opening credits are even through.  I'm not exaggerating for dramatic value, and I'm not a cranky, finicky old lady, either, I swear!  That stuff ruins me!  And it's expensive, geesh.

However, eating while watching movies is a pleasure that I don't ever deny myself, so...I bring my own goods to the theater. Don't judge me--you do it, too.  I know you.  I hear your plastic baggies.

Here is an easy, gooood-tasting alternative to Peanut M&Ms, the old fave that I've only recently let go of (I must admit):

Chocolate Nutty Nuggets!
(yep, just three ingredients: chocolate chips, peanut butter and dry cereal)

Melt a couple handfuls of semi-sweet chocolate chips (next time I'll use grain-sweetened, these were still slightly too sugary for me) in a saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly.  Add a big, heaping tablespoon of peanut butter and stir it in until completely mixed. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.  Crush up some cereal (I used Nature's Path Corn Flakes in the cubed nuggets above, and Health Valley Rice Crunch-Ems in the rounder nuggets, below) by hand or in a food processor and stir it in to the chocolate peanut butter.  You can then spread it on a small casserole dish, chill until firm, and cut up into cubes.

Or...you can roll up little balls by hand, like I did below, which takes a lot of time, but makes for a more authentic M&M result.  


The cereal surprisingly makes it crunchy, like the candy coating on Peanut M&Ms.  
Who knew?


And hey, as long as you've got the Rice Crunch-Ems out (ugh, "healthier" products always have such dumb names), why not make some...

BBQ Snack Mix!

Just like your old pal, "Chex Mix", but without the migraine headaches from the MSG! What a concept!  


EASY:
In a large bowl, mix together 4 parts BBQ sauce and 1 part olive oil, plus a little hot sauce if you like.  Dump the cereal into the bowl and toss well to coat thoroughly.  Spread the cereal mixture on a cookie sheet and put in a 200 degree oven for 45 minutes.  Stir it around every 15 minutes, or it will slightly burn and ruin the flavor.  Let air-dry and cool completely before mixing it with whatever you like---I added wasabi peas, raisins and dried cherries.  I love this stuff.

Hey, we always buy seltzer and other stuff from our friends at the independent theater, too (nutritional yeast popcorn FOREVER). We're not total jerks.  And we can't help it if a tiny flask follows us to our seats, either.

Hit me with some more movie snack ideas!














4 comments:

  1. I am so going to make that for my kids the next time we go to the movies. You're a genius.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum...my little snack monster will love those. Great idea...will definitely try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I'm so glad you and Mandy made me realize how kid-friendly these things are, thanks!

    ReplyDelete