Monday, February 20, 2012

Rice, Rice, Baby

     It's cold outside.  I'm cranky.  I want Thanksgiving in February.  However, I am not up to the task of cooking seventeen different side dishes, so here's just one that actually tastes like Thanksgiving:

Thanksgiving-ish Fried Rice

 This is a one-pot deal (assuming you already have cooked brown rice or other grain on hand--if not, go cook some right now, geesh).  Saute onions in olive oil until transluscent, then add cashews and let them get a little toasty. Now add the following chopped things: apples, dates, figs, sage, thyme and parsley. Use dried herbs if you don't have fresh, duh. Stir everything around and let it cook for a few minutes.  Add cooked rice, peas, salt & pepper and a little lemon juice to bring out more flayvah. Stir well. Done! Eat it, it's good.

And for dessert....more rice:


Peanut Butter Rice Crispy Sticks

I realize this has been done a million times before, but it's new to me, so I'm talkin' about it.

Melt equal amounts of peanut butter and brown rice syrup (I know, more rice) in a pot over low heat and stir them together.  Remove from heat.  Add a bunch of crispy rice cereal, or "cocoa" crispy rice cereal like I did (waaaay better). Stir everything together.  Press the whole mixture into a baking dish, let firm up, then slice into strips.  Oh wait, I forgot!  I also put some crushed cashews in there when I added the cereal.  You can do that.  Or chocolate chips.  Or dried fruit...




You are totally allowed to eat these for breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment